What work will be happening?
Construction will be occurring in the Balmoral Avenue, Brant Street and Durham Street areas in the spring of 2017. This project falls under the 2015-2019 Strategic Plan - "Building a Sustainable City". The focus for this work is to improve the water, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure and services within the city. Due to the scheduled construction, there is also the option for property owners within the project limits to replace their private drain connections at a subsidized cost if they so choose. This option is part of the city's Private Drain Connection Program. Homeowners may also be eligible to participate in the Lead Service Replacement Loan Program. Omega Contractor Inc. is the contractor for this project. Archibald, Gray & McKay Engineering Ltd. will carry out the resident inspection and contract administration for the project. This company has also previously completed the engineering design for this project.
The project includes:
- The elimination of combined sewers on Balmoral Ave. and a portion of Brant St.
- The installation of sanitary and new storm sewers (including private drain connections as required)
- Replacement of watermain and individual water services to the property line, where applicable
- Full road construction around the construction area (new asphalt, curbs, gutters and sidewalks)
These streets have been identified as high priority due to:
- Poor condition of municipal infrastructure (1939-1958)
- Poorly rated combined sewers on Balmoral Ave. and portions of Brant St.
- Existing storm sewers on Brant St. are undersized
- No storm sewer on Durham St.
- The watermain is 1940s cast iron with potential lead services
The budget for project work performed by Omega Contractor Inc. is $3,016,406.94.
The budget for project work performed by Archibald, Gray & McKay Engineering Ltd. (AGM Ltd.) is $219,340.
How will this affect the streets and surrounding neighbourhoods?
Streets and surrounding areas that will be affected include:
- Balmoral Ave - From Oxford St. East to St. James St.
- Brant St - From Balmoral Ave to Elliott St.
- Durham St- From Oxford St. East to Brant St.
A Public Information Centre (PIC) was held on January 19, 2017 for the owners and residents of the affected project areas to have the opportunity to voice their questions and concerns.
Please keep the residents who live on adjoining streets in mind when detouring around the construction areas.
- Civic Works Committee, 8 June 2016, Appointment of Consulting Engineers, Infrastructure Renewal Program 2017-2018
- Civic Works Committee, 11 April 2017, Contract Award: Tender No. 17-20 - Balmoral Avenue, Brant Street and Durham Street Reconstruction Project
- Construction Notice Letter, 20 April 2017
I'm interested in your input and any concerns you may have regarding the 2017 Infrastructure Renewal Program. Please provide your feedback in the box below, email me at email@example.com or call me at 226-926-9063 (mobile).