What is being proposed?
There are two things happening at the same time:
- the old McCormick building on Dundas St is in the process of being sold by the City of London to Sierra Construction for $1;
- the larger McCormick area is being studied, which will result in a secondary plan for the area.
As reported in the London Free Press by Pat Maloney, the building was closed in 2008 and later seized by the City of London after the former owner failed to pay over $750,000 in back taxes.
Sierra Construction has proposed a mix of commercial and residential uses on the site.
What has happened so far?
- 8 Dec 2015: Council adopted the revised McCormick Area Secondary Plan and approved by-law changes for the McCormick factory site.
- 26 Nov 2015: Londoners shared their opinions on the proposed changes at a Public Participation Meeting held at the Planning Environment Committee.
- 23 Nov 2015: London Free Press story on the secondary plan and proposals for re-development.
- 18 Nov 2015: staff report on draft secondary plan available on the City of London web site.
- 18 Nov 2015: staff report on proposed amendments to the official plan and zoning bylaw for 1156 Dundas St (old McCormick factory site) published on Cit of London web site.
- 11 Nov 2015: notice of public meeting to be held at planning and environment committee on 26 Nov, no earlier than 6pm at City Hall. Notice includes revised design concept (pictured at right).
- 4 Nov 2015: informal community meeting at the TVDSB education centre on the revised secondary plan.
- August 2015: informal community meeting at Boyle Community Centre on the preliminary design concept, attended by 100+ residents.
- July 2015: London Free Press story about the application for zoning amendment and reaction from residents.
- 17 July 2015: notice of application to amend the official plan and zoning by-law (PDF) published and mailed to residents.
- June 2015: London Free Press story about the application being submitted to city planning staff.
- March 2015: Mayor Matt Brown, Councillor Harold Usher and myself toured two buildings in Woodstock developed by Sierra Construction: the Harvey Woods Factory, which is being redeveloped as multi-unit residential; and Woodstock's former long-term care home, which was redeveloped as Oxford Gardens, a retirement home.
- The McCormick Area Study, particularly the most recent report to City Council in April 2013
- June 2014: London Free Press story on this most recent development proposal.
- Aug 2013: London Free Press story from on earlier proposal from Sierra.
- Sept 2012: London Free Press story on the fire and the city potentially taking over the property.
- July 2012: London Free Press story on the city potentially taking over the property.
- Apr 2010: London Free Press story on the future of the vacant property.
- Jan 2007: London Free Press story on the impending closure of the candy plant.
A public site plan meeting will be held at the Planning and Environment Committee. The date is to be determined.
- Council-approved McCormick Area Secondary Plan (65 page PDF)
- Staff report on draft secondary plan
- Staff report on proposed amendments to the official plan and zoning bylaw for 1156 Dundas St (old McCormick factory site)
- Notice of public meeting on 26 Nov (includes revised design concept, 4 page PDF)
- Planning Justification Report (50 page PDF)
- Preliminary Design Concept (1 page PDF)
- Urban Design Brief (35 page PDF)
- Heritage Impact Assessment (53 page PDF)
- Revised (as of 28 Oct) Draft McCormick Area Secondary Plan (65 page PDF)
I'm interested to know what you would like to see built in this important area of our ward. Please provide your feedback in the box below, email me at email@example.com or call me at 226-268-7536 (mobile).
Michael Tomazincic, Manager, Current Planning, City of London. firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-661-2500 Ext. 4693.
Jim Yanchula, Manager, Urban Regeneration, City of London. email@example.com or 519-661-2500 Ext. 7544.
Amanda-Brea Watson, Planner II, Urban Regeneration, City of London. firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-661-2500 Ext. 5843 (for amendments to Official Plan and Zoning By-law for old McCormick factory site)
Kerri Killen, Planner II, Urban Regeneration, City of London. email@example.com or 519-661-2500 Ext. 2659 (for McCormick Area Secondary Plan)